Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fill the Gap - Stepping up to meet the challenges of life

Greetings and welcome to Fill the Gap.  I'm hoping this will become a part of your regular reading.  One thing that I am sure many who know me would say is that I am rarely without an opinion.  I hope you'll find thought provoking discussion which will encourage, and perhaps coax you to fill the gap where you work, where you worship, and in your community.  Filling the Gap is about doing just that.  Stepping into that place where no one else has stepped, closing the open space between where others are working.  It comes from the book of Nehemiah in the Old Testament.  You'll hear a lot about Nehemiah here - he's one of my favorite Biblical leaders.  Nehemiah went to Jerusalem to rebuild the city walls.  He needed the people to step up, to fill the gap.  The work they did restored the honor of Jerusalem, just like you can do for your company, for your community, for your family.  I look forward to sharing my thoughts about this over the course of time.

I've recently been reading Louis V. Gerstner, Jr.'s book "Who Says Elephants Can't Dance?". Gerstner writes in the introduction that he didn't think he had anything to say and therefore never had aspirations for writing a book.  I'm certainly not as humble as Gerstner seems to be about what he has to offer others, but I am hopeful that I'll have something to offer just the same.  Something that is unique in this day, that speaks uniquely to those of you who want to do something important, want to excel in the world of business, want to leave a lasting impression on your family, your community, your workplace.  I believe I can offer some encouragement, some motivation, and with the help of others (i.e., Nehemiah, Gerstner, and more), I will endeavor to contribute to your success.

Here's to a wonderful 2011 and beyond!!  Happy New Year!

jvt

1 comment :

  1. You go for it John as we will be looking in and seeing what you have to say on whatever subjects you select. We have known you most of your life and we know that you are a man of integrity and love your God,family & friends. We are also privileged to have been a small part of your life here and there over the years. Now it will be good sit back to listen and to hear what the Lord had placed upon your heart to share with all of us. You are in our prayers as you undertake thie blog in this neew year. We send our blessings your way and as always our very best wishes. God Bless!

    In His Service,
    David & Mickey Spaulding (O:")

    ReplyDelete