Monday, March 21, 2011

What are you waiting for?

This past Saturday was just a beautiful, sunny, pre-Spring day here in St. John, IN.  It's as if all of nature was straining to break forth with new life.  I loved it.  With the coming of Spring, I should be excited about the future; about the great possibilities that the new season brings, and yet I can't help thinking about the past a bit.

Have I used the time well?  Have I accomplished anything that will last?  Will my time here on earth amount to anything of value?  Will I even be a footnote in the scheme of things.  I suppose some of you are thinking that I'm having a mid-life crisis.  But I can assure you I am not.  What is happening is that I have been doing a lot of thinking about the future, but in light of the past.  I am in a small group that meets a couple times a month and we have been looking at a fabulous book by Max Lucado called Outlive Your Life.  I have always enjoyed Lucado books, but the studies have not really done it for me.  THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT.  It is about the best video series I have watched with a group.  I would recommend this for anyone who is asking how to best invest themselves in the world around them.

Anyway, enough commercial.  What are you doing to invest yourself in those around you?  Are you building relationships?  Are you mentoring anyone?  Are you lending anyone a helping hand?   If you are waiting for a personal invitation, may I remind you that you already have one?   When Jesus was asked by an expert in the law who his neighbor was, that he might love him, Jesus told the story of the Good Samaritan.  You can find that story beginning in Luke 10:25.  The best part is the end.  After the story, Jesus asks the expert in the law who acted like a neighbor.  The expert says, "The one who had mercy on him."  Jesus says, "Go and do likewise."

So, I'll ask again, what are we waiting for?  Make your life count.  Outlive it!

Best,

John.

No comments :

Post a Comment